[Paraview] Reader did not create output

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 19:23:41 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Berk Geveci <berk.geveci at kitware.com> wrote:
> I couldn't see anything obviously wrong. Try setting a breakpoint in
> vtkDemandDrivenPipeline::CheckDataObject right before you open the
> file. When you walk over that function, is there an output at all? If
> no, is DATA_TYPE_NAME() set to anything?

I set a break point in CheckDataObject. I stepped through - It skips
right to the 'else' on line 682 of vtkDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx.

I've never tried debugging in paraview before - is there a way to
check the value of DATA_TYPE_NAME() without adding an output line such
as:
cout << vtkDataObject::DATA_TYPE_NAME();

and recompiling?

It takes a long time to compile Paraview so I'm sure this is a
terribly inefficient way to debug... but the debugger in KDevelop3 (an
interface to gdb) doesn't show values of things when you hover the
mouse over them so I'm not sure how to see it without using this
method.

I looked at portInfo->Request->Name->*Name in the local variables of
the debugger and it is empty - is this the same as DATA_TYPE_NAME()?

I'm not doing anything fancy - my class is derived from
vtkPolyDataAlgorithm and I haven't changed anything related to the
pipeline except for:
this->SetNumberOfInputPorts(0);

so shouldn't this "just work"?

Thanks,