[Paraview] PV 3.6.2 and VisIt Plugin: crash when loading state with Tecplot files

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 19:11:35 EST 2010

Hi Richard and Dave,

I think that the way the VisIt plugin currently communicates information
between client and server is not going to work with state.

The way it is now the plugin repeatedly sends variable length vectors of
array,block,material ids,, etc one array for each mesh. Each of these
might have a different size depending on the user's selections. In order
to work around the fact that PV sm vector props don't support variable
length vectors it also expects the array of mesh ids to be sent first,
from this it sizes the other arrays to fit what will be incoming.

One solution would be to serialize the users selections in a single
string, using sm string vector property to send server side. That would
work with state. Otherwise I'm afraid your going to have to do some
heavy sm programming.

I regret the way I did that, if it's helpful I'll volunteer to fix it.

Burlen