[Paraview] Git repository (mirror)

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Jan 21 16:13:06 EST 2010

I believe there is a bug in git that causes the http transfer to fail when dealing with files above a certain size, and the ParaView repository has at least one such file.  That said, I also am behind a firewall and I have found (well, been told) two methods that have worked for me.  The first (and better but harder) solution is to set up a proxy for the git protocol.  To do this, first set up a script that tunnels connections through an HTTP proxy.  Copy the following into a file called git-proxy.sh.

#!/bin/bash
( echo "CONNECT $1:$2 HTTP/1.0"; echo; cat ) | nc <proxy-host> <proxy-port> | ( read a; read a; cat )

You will of course replace <proxy-host> and <proxy-port> with the host and port of your http proxy.  Also keep in mind that this script is supposed to be exactly two lines (regardless of whether it has been broken up by an email program).

Once you have this script, you then tell git to use it as the proxy for the git protocol.  Execute this script once and it will put the necessary parameter in the global git configuration for your machine.

git config --global core.gitproxy <path-to>/git-proxy.sh

I have gotten this to work on Mac and Linux.  I have not tried this on Windows.

If you cannot get that to work, another method you can try is to get the data from github.com via ssh, which I presume your firewall will let through.  To do this, do the following.

 1.  Create an account on github.com if you do not already have one.
 2.  Go to Account Settings -> Account Overview -> SSH Public Keys and add the public ssh key for your machine.
 3.  Go to the Kitware/ParaView repository on the github.com web site.
 4.  Click on the button to fork the repository.  This will create a clone of the repository under your account.
 5.  In your clone of the ParaView repository, you will see that there are more URL's available to download the repository via git.  Choose the private URL.  It will have the form git at github.com:<yourname>/ParaView.git.  Although it looks like the regular git protocol, it is not.  It is different.  Underneath it uses the ssh protocol (I think).
 6.  Anyway, paste that URL to a git clone command on your local machine.  As long as your ssh keys are set up correctly, you should be able to retrieve the repository.
 7.  Once you have a clone, you can create a new remote that points back to the original Kitware/ParaView repository.  At this point you should be able to pull updates directly from the Kitware/ParaView repository through the http protocol so long as no one adds a large file.

Hope that helps.

-Ken