[Paraview] Packaging branded binary

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Tue Jan 19 14:44:27 EST 2010

Hey Utkarsh,

So, at this point the Ubuntu packaging is manageable for now. (libaudio is the only thing that seems to be required that doesn't get packaged.)

In moving on to the OS X packaging I'm having a few issues, some of which are probably just due to my ignorance:

1. The install_qt_libs() macro is only written for non-Apple -- is this because there is some problem doing similar things under OS X, or is there something else that handles this functionality? (I'm not getting any Qt libs in my OS X TGZ binary bundles.)

2. It's just a little thing, but the binary package is always labeled "...Darwin-i386.tar.gz" even if I've compiled for only x86_64.

3. If I make a standard TGZ binary package, the executable still refers (otool -L) to the libraries in the build directory. Maybe this is another issue with needing to compile ParaView with VTK_USE_RPATH: OFF and then my application with CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH: ON, but on OS X I couldn't build PV with RPATH OFF... (I can reproduce what happened, but I think it was a problem with vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx). Otherwise, maybe it's one of those things where more scripts need to be run afterwards to fix the library paths (install_tool...?), I'm just not sure how to do all of that since I've never prepared binaries for distribution.

4. To try making a drag-n-drop bundle, I blindly copied the CMakeList.txt section from {PV_source}/Applications/ParaView IF(APPLE)..., along with CompleteBundle.cmake.in and CreateBundle.sh.in from that directory. I had to add a few lines from OverView to get it to run the "cpack -G Bundle --config CPackParaView_MSIConfig.cmake" call:

  CONFIGURE_FILE("${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/Info.plist.in" "${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/Info.plist" @ONLY)
  SET(CPACK_BUNDLE_NAME "paraview_MSI")
  SET(CPACK_BUNDLE_PLIST "${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/Info.plist")
  SET(CPACK_BUNDLE_ICON "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/MSIsimIcon.icns")

The dmg is created, but the application bundle inside is not valid. I'll try to attach a screen shot of the directory structure, but basically instead of .app/Contents/MacOS/paraview it has .app/Contents/Resources/bin(&lib...)/paraview.app/Contents/MacOS/paraview.

Sorry about so much packed in one email, and thanks for all the help,
-Eric