[Paraview] XDMF questions...

Kidambi Sreenivas sreenivask at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 11:42:40 EST 2010

Hi,

   I have a custom unstructured grid and solution file that is in HDF5.
  I was looking into reading this into ParaView and was planning on
using XDMF for this purpose.  However, I have run into certain issues
which I am not sure how to address and hence this plea for help:

(1) I have the connectivity maps for the various element types as
separate chunks in the HDF file, i.e., the Tetrahedra connectivity is
stored separately from the Wedge connectivity etc.  This leads to a
problem with the Topology specification as I can have only one Topology
section per Grid.  If I set the Topology type to Mixed, then I have to
re-encode my connectivity data (something I would prefer not to do).  Is
there any way to read this data given these constraints?

(2) I did not see any support for specifying boundary "tags", i.e., an
integer identifier for boundary faces (triangles and quads in 3D) such
that I can display only a specified surface or a list of surfaces as
needed.  Am I missing something or is this feature not available?

(3) I have the dependent variable vector (consists of a combination of
scalars and vectors) that is written out as a single entity and not as
individual scalars and vectors.  Is there an easy way to make XDMF read it?

Thanks for your help,

Sree