[Paraview] Compiling without X11 libraries

pat marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Wed Feb 24 15:29:03 EST 2010

Hi Ken,

Below is copy and paste from a previous email where I answered a similar
question off-list (your question is a little different because you want to
use Mesa3D to create windows).  Unfortunately you can't do this without some
small hacks to the cmakelists.  I think the important part for you is in the
last paragraph.

----------

Using true offscreen means using vtkOSOpenGLRenderWindow and not
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.  Which one is used depends on whether or not
VTK_USE_OSMESA is defined in $build_dir/VTK/vtkToolkits.h.

VTK_USE_OSMESA is defined when:

  * OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY is set to the empty string
  * VTK_USE_X is OFF
  * VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA is true

If the platform is Linux, and cmake is able to locate X11 libraries &
headers, then cmake will force VTK_USE_X to ON.  You must hack
VTK/CMake/vtkUseX.cmake to set it to OFF.

Look at the bottom of $build_dir/VTK/vtkToolkits.h to make sure that you
have successfully defined VTK_USE_OSMESA.

If you are doing a shared build, and OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY is the empty string,
then you will get link errors because of some changes that were introduced
after the transitive linking patch last June.  To avoid that, you need to
change all instances of ${OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY} to ${OSMESA_LIBRARY} in all
CMakeLists.txt except for VTK/Rendering/CMakeLists.txt or
VTK/CMakeLists.txt.

Pat