[Paraview] Suggestion for Storing Colors for a Polygonal Mesh

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Mon Feb 22 16:35:57 EST 2010

I am in the early stages of designing a new filter that is supposed to
color triangles based on their normal where the normal is used as an
input to the filter and a unique color is output for each triangle.

   My questions are:
    Where should I store the color information? As a new set of
"Scalars" or as Vectors as attribute data for the cells? Also, is
there a "Standard" that is used to store the Normals for Polygonal
data (vtkPolyData)? Are they always in an attribute data array called
"Normals"? I was thinking I need to check first to see if the correct
type of normals are included already and if not then generate the
normals during the filter.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer       mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio