[Paraview] About running ParaView and Pvserver on a workstation

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Feb 11 09:29:31 EST 2010

The client application is comparatively lightweight, so I think  you can
generally expect better performance for data intensive tasks with N server
processes instead of N-1. Note, you can run more than N if you wish, but you
likely will see performance degrade sharply.

Of course how it scales in practice depends greatly on the problem. What
ParaView scales well at is data intensive problems, where it benefits most
because there is N times the available RAM when it is run on a cluster with
N nodes, an to a lesser degree on having N CPUs to run through the data.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
28 Corporate Drive