[Paraview] connectiong to pvserver from an external python shell

Luca Penasa luca.penasa at email.it
Sun Feb 7 07:27:22 EST 2010

I am trying to connect to pvserver from an external ipython console.
After
from paraview.simple import *
i tried with
Connect('bluestar')
but this gives me the error:

ERROR: In /var/tmp/portage/sci-visualization/paraview-3.6.2/work/ParaView3/VTK/Common/vtkClientSocket.cxx, line 54
vtkClientSocket (0x494dc10): Failed to connect to server bluestar:11111

Warning: In /var/tmp/portage/sci-visualization/paraview-3.6.2/work/ParaView3/Servers/Common/vtkProcessModuleConnectionManager.cxx, line 294
vtkProcessModuleConnectionManager (0x388b290): Connect failed.  Retrying for 16.9255 more seconds.
I started the pvserver by hand launching from shell the pvserver command.
I am interested in manipulating my object from an external python console and view it in a Paraview client (that correctly connects to pvserver using the gui).
Is this the best way to do that? Other possibilities?
I was wondering if it would possible to write new plugins using python and embedding into the paraview-client interface (with a little GUI and so on..).
Is this possible?

sorry for my english
hope someone can understand
thank you!