[Paraview] How to output from Discrete Element simulations to Paraview

William Oquendo woquendo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 22:31:02 EST 2010

Dear all,

I have been locking for a specific answer for the following problem with no
luck. I am performing Discrete Element Simulations (like Molecular Dynamics
for granular materials) on system composed by poly-disperse (radii
distributed over a finite range) spheres, in C++. I would like to output
some data to visualize the system with Paraview. I have been reading
something related to legacy VTK data format, that seems "simpler" than other
formats, plus glyphs. In my case, I have different sizes for the spheres, so
I can not apply the same radius to every point. Furthermore, I would like to
add more "scalar" and "vector" fields (as filters) for the visualization,
like the square velocity, the mean force, etc. I would like to know how to
write the output from my program in a suitable format for paraview. I think
I should stick with VTK format (if you have a better suggestion please let
me know), but please show me how to specify the specific radius and the
remaining fields. Should I better use spheres? Thanks for any help.

Best regards / Cordialmente,

--
William Oquendo
Phd Candidate