[Paraview] Interfacing to ParaView/VTK

Hamilton Woods ghw at accutrol.com
Fri Dec 17 13:44:26 EST 2010

This user community has been most helpful.  You have helped
me learn how to drive ParaView.  I now have a Python
program that I can run using pvPython to integrate the
density along a line segment in a CFD solution.

I need to accomplish this from MATLAB.  I am thinking of
doing this by calling VTK from MATLAB.  I notice that the
binary distribution of VTK does not have any DLL's
prebuilt, but ParaView does.  It appears from looking
through the ParaView source that the C++ source has been
built into a DLL that can be called from an external
program.  Basically, for this application, I do not need
the ability to view data, just process it.

I have a few questions:

1)  Is my understanding correct that the vtk DLL's in
    the ParaView bin folder can be called directly from
    an external program?

2)  Are these DLL's built from the C++ source files in the
    VTK folder under the ParaView folder?  (I need to know
    this because it may become necessary to rebuild this
    set for other operating systems.)

3)  Does this mean that I don't really need to use CMake
    to call ParaView/VTK from a top-level program?

4)  If my understanding is correct, is this documented
    anywhere?  I have The ParaView Guide, The VTK User's
    Guide, and The Visualization Toolkit: An Object-
    Oriented Approach to 3D Graphics.  The only thing I
    have seen mentioned is the client/server sections in
    The ParaView User's Guide.  Actually, this might even
    be what I need.

Thanks for your help,
Hamilton Woods