[Paraview] PV in parallel and avi-visualisation

Bo Kaiser bobo_burns at web.de
Thu Dec 9 08:47:06 EST 2010

Hi,

We just compiled and installed ParaView 3.8.1, 64-bit with MPICH 1.3.1 for shared memory parallel processing on a computer with Suse 11.0 and 16 CPU's.

When we run "mpirun -np 4 ./pvserver" in idle, process 1-3 always shows a CPU usage of 100 %, while the root process 0 is correctly in idle.

I followed the very interesting discussion on: http://markmail.org/search/list:paraview?q=mpi+cpu+100%25#query:list%3Aparaview%20mpi%20cpu%20100%25+page:1+mid:mcgnztdwqr2w3ojx+state:results

Unfortunately, I could not find the solution there. The posts are two years old and if someone found a solution in the meanwhile or if someone else knows how to run ParaView in parallel without having always 100 % CPU usage I would be more than happy if you let us know how to do.

I have also a question regarding the visualisation...

The visualization of our CFD-data from an unsteady simulation using ffmpeg (.avi) movie libraries needs hours. I have the impression, that ParaView does not work in parallel.

1. Could it be possible that this feature does not work in parallel?

2. If no, do you have an idea what I make wrong?

3. Does ParaView provide the possibility to test, whether processes are working in parallel or not? I am interested to test in real-time while ParaView processes data. Therefore I do not wont to use the filter "process by id scalar". If the CPU's shows always 100 % usage (first problem) I cannot answer this question from the CPU usage.

I am a ParaView newbie and appreciate any comment.

Thank you very much,

Bo