[Paraview] Continous update from Timer events possible?

Ulrich Radeberger uradeberger at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 06:22:57 EST 2010

Dear all,
is it possible to update Paraview visualizations a few times per second,
reacting to Timer Events?

We have sensor data arriving over a network stream, which are processed and then
to be visualized as glyph properties. Currently we use a very simple VTK
application which checks for new data every 500ms and updates the rendering if
necessary. We would like to integrate this View in Paraview.

I had a look at the "Time in ParaView" tutorial, but my impression is that the
Time variable is not useful in our case, because it assumes datasets to be
defined at several time steps, whereas we always have a single (changing)
dataset representing "current time". Does an example exist how to write a
Paraview plugin which updates itself in regular intervals?

Best wishes
Ulrich