[Paraview] ImportError: libvtkCommonPythonD.so.pv3.4: cannot open shared

Kaben Nanlohy kaben.nanlohy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 22:07:53 EDT 2010

I think this problem has been seen before on this list, but maybe not
in enough detail to solve. Here are more details.

On Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit server with paraview and all the associated
python/vtk stuff installed, when I type:
>>> import sys
>>> sys.path.append('/usr/lib/paraview')
>>> sys.path.append('/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/vtk/')
>>> import paraview.servermanager

I get: ImportError: libvtkCommonPythonD.so.pv3.4: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

But if I do a stupid import in a specific order, I get a complaint,
and then success:
>>> import sys
>>> sys.path.append('/usr/lib/paraview')
>>> sys.path.append('/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/vtk/')
>>> import libvtkPVServerCommonPythonD
ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function
(initlibvtkPVServerCommonPythonD)
>>> import paraview.servermanager

This points to some inter-library dependencies and load-orders. Hope this helps.