[Paraview] Inconsistent client view in tiled-display mode

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Fri Aug 27 09:14:07 EDT 2010

It's definitely a bug in the book. In tile-display mode, I am pretty
certain that there's no way currently in the implementation to get
non-LOD data to the client. However, that being said, I don't object
to adding a new setting option or maybe using the existing "checkbox"
to enable fetching non-LOD data to the client.

Utkarsh

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:11 AM, David E DeMarle
<dave.demarle at kitware.com> wrote:
> [...]
> we can support that mode.
>
> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> R&D Engineer
> 28 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: 518-371-3971 x109
>
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Christoph Willing <c.willing at uq.edu.au> wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> Maybe there are some version related differences involved here - I found a
>> Client Collect checkbox & slider in Edit->Settings->Render
>> View->Server->Tiled Display Parameters. However unchecking it and then
>> changing some object parameter to force a re-render makes no difference to
>> the client view here.
>>
>> I appreciate the logic behind decimating the client view but, as Stephane
>> already mentioned, there are use cases where its not helpful. We have a
>> similar use requirement to Stephane - needing to stream a lower res version.
>> It would be great if the Client Collect checkbox would work as you suggest.
>> Should I try a different version? I'm currently on a Linux build from the
>> 3.8.0 source tarball.
>>

>> chris
>>

>> On 26/08/2010, at 9:55 PM, David E DeMarle wrote:
>>
>>> Un-check the checkbox to the left and the client should get the full res
>>> geometry too.
>>>
>>> David E DeMarle
>>> Kitware, Inc.
>>> R&D Engineer
>>> 28 Corporate Drive
>>> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
>>> Phone: 518-371-3971 x109
>>>

>>> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Stephane PLOIX <stephane.ploix at edf.fr>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Since this thread is started, I would like to point out that saying that
>>> display walls are only used if the data size is large is not true for
>>> everybody.
>>>
>>> We have several use cases where having a correct rendering on the client
>>> would be helpfull :
>>> * display walls can be used for team meetings : the space is then used to
>>> have several people view the same thing, not always very big in terms of
>>> number of cells. In this case, it is very usefull to have the possibility to
>>> pick/select some part of an object, and it is very diffcult to do so with a
>>> decimated view.
>>> * we also use some tools like virtualGL that enable image-based
>>> collaboration by streaming the image of the client to a remote viewer : for
>>> instance if someone was not able to join the meeting and still want to
>>> participate and share the same view on his desktop. Sending a view of a
>>> decimated object is not very helpfull...
>>>
>>> I would vote for having the possibility to have a full-resolution view on
>>> the client, comments?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Stephane
>>>

>>>  <ATT00001.gif>
>>>
>>> Stephane PLOIX
>>> Pilote Opérationnel - Visualisation scientifique
>>> 1, Av du Général de Gaulle

>>> c.willing at uq.edu.au