[Paraview] Getting plate boundary data into Paraview

Lester Anderson lester_anderson1963 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 05:02:38 EDT 2010

Hello

Further to an earlier post on plate boundary data, I have the data in a variety of formats including Shapefile, GMT data, and simple XY data.

Is there an easy way to get the line (or polygon) data into Paraview?

I have copied a small sample into here to show the basic format that GMT reads, each discrete line section starts with the > plus a textual description:

> 2014 BOCONO TRANSFORM FAULT, N. SOUTH AMERICA
 -58.9415   10.5593
 -59.1817   10.5598
 -59.4918   10.5899
 -59.8086   10.6593
 -60.1954   10.7256
 -60.4489   10.7065
 -60.8159   10.6678
 -61.0594   10.6486
 -61.4631   10.6068
 -61.8535   10.5682
 -62.2972   10.5395
 -62.8876   10.4915
 -63.7494   10.4103
> 2014 BOCONO TRANSFORM FAULT, N. SOUTH AMERICA
 -77.5807    0.4294
 -77.8448    0.1430
 -77.9752   -0.0068
 -78.2026   -0.3332
 -78.4367   -0.6463
 -78.7342   -0.9592
 -79.0453   -1.3955
 -79.2994   -1.6951
 -79.4901   -1.9814
 -79.6407   -2.2444
 -79.7878   -2.4208
 -79.8400   -2.5000
 -79.9182   -2.5805
 -80.0386   -2.7369
 -80.1589   -2.8732
 -81.9900   -4.8900
> 2014 SE CAYMAN TROUGH TRANSFORM FAULT
 -78.4356   18.4315
 -78.3248   18.4569
 -78.1413   18.4710
 -78.0147   18.4664
 -77.9386   18.4565

I would hope that transforming this sort of XY data into something Paraview can load should be easy, but need some advice.

Thanks

Lester