[Paraview] pvbatch hanging in parallel after WriteImage?

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Aug 19 17:09:14 EDT 2010

Hey Jean,

I am getting the same behavior on my Mac OS X 10.6 compiled with OpenMPI (but no OSMesa). I can run scripts like yours from the ParaView Python shell when connected to a four-process pvserver just fine, and it works from the same build of pvbatch run in serial (without mpirun), but when I try to run pvbatch with

mpirun -np 4 ./pvbatch coloredSphere.0.py

it hangs after writing the first image and giving me this output:

vtkSphereSource : [ ...........]
vtkSphereSource(3) : [ ...........]
vtkSphereSource(1) : [ ...........]
vtkSphereSource(2) : [ ...........]
vtkPVGeometryFilter : [ ...........]
vtkPVGeometryFilter(1) : [ ...........]
vtkPainterPolyDataMapper : [ ...........]
vtkPainterPolyDataMapper : [ ...........]
Process id: 2 >> ERROR: In /Users/emonson/Programming/ParaView_git/ParaView/VTK/Parallel/vtkParallelRenderManager.cxx, line 1869
vtkIceTRenderManager (0x10b104a90): Failed to read window information

Process id: 3 >> ERROR: In /Users/emonson/Programming/ParaView_git/ParaView/VTK/Parallel/vtkParallelRenderManager.cxx, line 1869
vtkIceTRenderManager (0x10be0ec40): Failed to read window information

Process id: 1 >> ERROR: In /Users/emonson/Programming/ParaView_git/ParaView/VTK/Parallel/vtkParallelRenderManager.cxx, line 1869
vtkIceTRenderManager (0x10b604a10): Failed to read window information

Even a simple example like this hangs in the same way:

from paraview.simple import *

view = CreateRenderView()

sphere = Sphere()
Show()
Render()

WriteImage("sphere.0.png")
WriteImage("sphere.1.png")

Sorry I don't have any solution, but hopefully this will help someone who knows more figure it out. :)
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group