[Paraview] running in parallel on OS X

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 03:09:20 EDT 2010

Hi Dan,

Typically the -display command line option is used to specify which GPU
when there are more than one per host.

In the situation you describe running paraview on a single workstation
with 1 gpu and 8 cores, both rendering and IO are effectively serialized
as the server processes concurrently attempt to access the single gpu or
disk as the case may be. It is true that using OSMesa and the
--off-screen-rendering flag will get you real parallel software
rendering. However, comparing 1 process rendering with OSMesa to 1
process rendering on a gpu, the gpu rendering can be 100s of times
faster.* So for running on a single workstation your best bet is to
start off using hardware rendering on the gpu and limit the number of
server processes to 2 or 4 in order to limit contention for disk and
gpu. If you find the filters you use run significantly longer than the
reader or renderer, then you might experiment with more server
processes. As you do so if rendering becomes the significant bottleneck
you might experiment with OSMesa.

If you're having performance issues your best bet is to run PV on a cluster.

Burlen

* I don't know if you will have issues because of the ATI card.