[Paraview] Centering data

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Fri Aug 6 10:28:02 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 9:52 AM, David Doria <daviddoria at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Andy Bauer <andy.bauer at kitware.com> wrote:
> > Use the calculator filter to create a vector array from the coordinates,
> > then point to cell data, then integrate attributes to get the result
> divided
> > by the volume/area to give the desired input to the transform filter.
> >
> > Andy
>
> In the Calculator Filter I set
> Attribute Mode = Point Data
> Unchecked "Coordinate Results"
> Result Array Name = coords
> Selected "coords" from the "Vectors" drop down list
>
> I now see that 'coords' is an array in the output.
>
> When I run the "Integrate Variables" filter on the Calculator Filter
> output, the result is just (0,0,0).

This seems weird.  What kind of data set do you have?  Is your data set
already centered then?  I'd think there'd be some roundoff error so that it
wouldn't be exactly 0 but a "very small number".  Do you have any
cells/what's the area result under the cell data?

> I know you said to run the "Integrate Attributes" filter, but that is
> not in my Filters list. I looked in my ParaView source folder and I do
> indeed have vtkIntegraetAttributes.cxx. Any reason why this wouldn't
> show up in the filters list?

Oops, I meant integrate variables, not integrate attributes.  According to
the filters.xml file it looks like the Integrate Variables filter is using
vtkIntegrateAttributes.