[Paraview] HDF5 files with time dimension & ParaView

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Wed Aug 4 10:45:25 EDT 2010

Hey Pawel,

I think I got 4D->time to work with ParaView and Xdmf using a little test data set I wrote. I was able to use the "HyperSlab" functionality in Xdmf to pick out the correct data set from the 4th dimension for each time step.

Note: The only problem I'm having so far is that it loads into the ParaView git development head and PV 3.6.2 just fine, but PV 3.8.0 crashes. (At times there have been problems with reading Xdmf files using HyperSlab, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe there were some bugs with the Xdmf reader in 3.8.0...?)

The little HDF5 file I generated just has a 5x5x5x3 array of 32-bit integers where the "time" axis is the 4th dimension, and the grid contains all ones in the first step, twos in the second and threes in the third block. I'll attach both the HDF5 file and the .xmf file.

Hope this helps,
-Eric