[Paraview] ParaView Python

Erik Anderson eranders at sci.utah.edu
Mon Aug 2 11:46:56 EDT 2010

Hi all,
    I am trying to import paraview.simple from an external Python
interpreter.  I am trying to use the ParaView 3.8.0 binary distribution
and I have all my paths setup properly, but I'm getting the following error:

 >>> import paraview.simple
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Applications/ParaView
3.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/simple.py", line 39, in <module>
    import servermanager
  File "/Applications/ParaView
3.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/servermanager.py", line 43, in <module>
    import paraview, re, os, new, sys, vtk
  File "/Applications/ParaView
3.8.0.app/Contents/Python/paraview/vtk/__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
    from libvtkCommonPython import *
ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/ParaView
3.8.0.app/Contents/Libraries/libvtkCommonPython.so, 2): no suitable
image found.  Did find:
    /Applications/ParaView
3.8.0.app/Contents/Libraries/libvtkCommonPython.so: mach-o, but wrong
architecture

Upon some closer inspection, I see that the Python version used in
ParaView is:
2.5.4_final

whereas I am using:
2.6.5_final

Is this the cause of the error?  If so, how can I work around this?

Thanks,
Erik Anderson