[Paraview] Sanity Check - Parallel GPU rendering

Shree Kumar shree.shree at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 04:34:00 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Philippe <philippe.raven at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's another way to make *real* parallel GPU rendering.
> If you want to use the power of some GPU from unrelated cards (non-SLI but
> in the same computer) or from some graphical nodes, you can use VirtualGL
> with Sort-Last or Sort-First rendering, who will be very usefull and
> efficient to get very goods performances, and not just use 1 or 2 local GPU
> to render your paraview instance.

Could you explain this usage of VirtualGL a little more ?

I am running ParaView render servers across multiple nodes, each of which
may have one or more GPUs. Each server does local rendering on a GPU on the
same node.  MPI takes care of job launching across multiple nodes. I am
hoping this would give me the best possible performance, so someone please
correct me if I am wrong :-)

Thanks
-- Shree

Cheers.