[Paraview] Polyline visualization in ParaView

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Fri Apr 23 14:33:12 EDT 2010

> I would like export in an xdmf format the results of a 1D numerical
> simulation. Using "polyline" I have created a test file and I am able to
> visualize the line in paraview. However I have some issues:
>
> 1) I would like to visualize a 3D cylinder instead of the line. However,
> tube filter is always gray and I cannot use it;

You data is an unstructured grid (even though it is just polylines)
and the tube filter expects a polydata. Try "Extract Surface" to
convert to polydata. I made a note that filters like this should work
with unstructured grids. I will file a feature request.

> 2) If I try to use the plot over line filter I get a segmentation fault;
> 3) If I try to see the grid connectivity with the related filter, I get a
> message error.
>
> Probably there is something wrong in my data file, however I cannot find it.
> Could you help me, please?

There is indeed something wrong. I suspect that the polyline is
pointing to a point id that does not exist. Keep in mind that ids
start at 0 not 1. Maybe that's the problem?