[Paraview] Some information about extending paraview functionalities

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Apr 12 11:00:01 EDT 2010

Difference between filters and plugins:  Filters are the computational units in VTK and ParaView.  They are connected together to form pipelines.  In ParaView, the available filters are listed in the Filters menu.  Plugins are a mechanism to add functionality to ParaView.  That often includes adding filters to the Fitlers menu, but could also include a number of other things such as new menus, views, or python scripts.

In ParaView there are actually two distinct versions of Python scripting which I usually labels as client-side scripting and server-side scripting.  Client-side scripting is used to automate the operations that you would typically do through the ParaView GUI.  It does not really interface directly with the VTK Python wrappings that you use.  Client-side scripting is described on this Wiki page: http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Python_Scripting

Server-side scripting is run directly in the pipeline via the Programmable Filter.  To use it, you basically create a Programmable Filter and throw your Python code inside it.  In this form of scripting you are directly interfacing with the VTK Python wrappers.  Server-side scripting is described on this Wiki page: http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Python_Programmable_Filter

The plugin page concerning embedding Python that you pointed to is a convenience for plugins that provide or use client-side scripts.  It is not useful for server-side scripting because that Python code does not have access to the loaded modules.  (Or at least, I don't think that they do.)

-Ken