[Paraview] how to color particles

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Sep 28 14:57:54 EDT 2009

Simply add a POINT_DATA section that defines fields on the points.  For example

POINT_DATA  10000
VECTORS velocity float
  1.1 0.3 0.2
  0.3 1.2 0.7

-Ken

On 9/28/09 12:50 PM, "Rafael Pacheco" <rpacheco at math.asu.edu> wrote:

Ken,
many thanks, maybe what I need is a very simple example on how to do this using vtk legacy file? Here is a sample of what I have (I do not have the velocity field there, as I do not know how to put it there).

# vtk DataFile Version 3.0
Spin-up velocity field
ASCII
DATASET POLYDATA
POINTS     10000 float
      1.915706      0.753999      3.527802
      1.495156      0.089507      4.072335
      0.400480      0.453014      3.814184
      0.177201      0.131611      4.245033

> You should be able to color particles like you color any other type of data.   Simply choose the field to color by.
>
> -Ken
>
> On 9/28/09 12:29 PM, "Rafael Pacheco" <rpacheco at math.asu.edu <https://math.asu.edu/cgi-bin/openwebmail/rpacheco@math.asu.edu> > wrote:

Hello,

> I have a set of particles that I can visualize using unstructured data and the gliph 'sphere', i.e. I have their position x,y,z. Is it possible to color the particles using a velocity field? The magnitude of the velocity (which I have on a structured grid) can be attached to the particle, for example, for any particle I can have the position and velocity, x,y,z,v
>
> The questions are:(1) can I color the particles using their velocity, and (2) if the previous comment is true, what type of format should I use? I am currently using asci vtk legacy.
>
> Thanks!
> Rafael
>

>    ****      Kenneth Moreland
>     ***      Sandia National Laboratories