[Paraview] D3 not deterministic?

Karl König kkoenig11 at web.de
Thu Sep 24 04:19:51 EDT 2009

Hi,

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this one:
I start tonight's PV in client/server mode with 4 parallel pvserver
processes. The pipeline is as follows:
   Sources - Plane (default settings)
   Triangulate
   Subdivide (Number of Subdivisions: 3)
   D3 (default settings, i.e.
       Boundary Mode: Assign cells uniquely, Minimal Memory unchecked)
   Process Id Scalars (Random Mode unchecked)

All tetrahedra's are equally distributed, that's what I expected, fine.
Now:
1) Check "Minimal Memory" of D3 properties. Nothing changes, fine.
2) Uncheck "Minimal Memory" of D3 properties. Nothing changes, still fine.
3) Check "Minimal Memory" of D3 properties and change Boundary Mode to
"Duplicate cells". The partition changes, reasonable.
4) Change Boundary Mode back to "Assign cells uniquely", the partition
doesn't change again to the initial one.
(You can get back the earlier partition by changing both the "Minimal
Memory" setting and the Boundary Mode setting at the same time.)

Isn't D3 deterministic?

Thanks,
Karl