[Paraview] problem getting pvserver to load plugin; possible connected error message

Christine Corbett Moran corbett at physik.uzh.ch
Thu Sep 17 04:20:04 EDT 2009

I have created a plugin which functions on my client machine (when the GUI
is run on the client) as well as on my server machine (when the GUI is run
on the server machine), but not if I run the GUI on the client and connect
to the server machine running pvserver (I am currently for the exercise
running a single instance, nothing fancy). I have the PV_PLUGIN_PATH
environment variable in my .bash_profile set correctly to point to the
directory which contains my plugin on the server, as is evinced by the fact
that when I run the GUI on the server machine it automatically loads my
plugin.

On the client, if I go to manage plugins while connected to the server,
there is a small green/greyed out dot displayed on the remote plugin side,
along with the text "Not Loaded". All other fields on the remote plugin side
are empty. The local plugin side continues to display something to the
effect of "Loaded but must be loaded on server". If I try to manually load
the server plugin remotely from the client GUI, it displays and error box,
which is completely empty except for the "OK" button, and the following text
on the client and server sides, respectively:

Client error:
ERROR: In /BUILD/ParaView3/Servers/Common/vtkClientConnection.cxx, line 414
vtkClientConnection (0x1a20700): Could not create information object.

Server error:
ERROR: In
/Users/noname1/Documents/Research/Projects/viz/Paraview/ParaView-3.7/ParaView-3.7_src/Servers/Common/vtkServerConnection.cxx,
line 345
vtkServerConnection (0x15949e70): Server failed to gather information.

As a side note, since setting up my ParaView server, when I connect with my
client I get these error messages at the startup, but it hasn't in any way
thusfar effected my ability to load, analyze and render on the server so I
assumed they were innocuous; now it seems they may not be. Has anyone seen
these errors before or run into similar problems setting up pvserver with
plugins?

Thanks,
Christine