[Paraview] ParaView on exotic platforms

David Thompson dcthomp at sandia.gov
Tue Sep 8 22:17:07 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've been working to get ParaView (with Python turned ON) compiled on
an HPC platform that doesn't support shared libraries. It almost
works, but there is at least one little glitch that I don't see an
easy fix for: during CMake configuration, ParaView creates a file named
   Utilities/VTKPythonWrapping/Executable/pvpythonmodules.h
which defines a routine that initializes all of the python modules
ParaView requires. Unfortunately, this file is written by a macro
defined in FindPythonLibs.cmake which uses a list of the modules and
assumes that the function to initialize each one will be named
	'init' + PREFIX + moduleName + SUFFIX
This doesn't work for the mpi4py module because the build system has
overridden the name of the dynamically-loaded module name. Instead of
libMPIPython.so, it is simply MPIPython.so.

So far, I've manually edited the pvpythonmodules file but it would be
nice to have a real solution committed. Should I
1. Un-override the non-standard library name when building static
Python modules
2. Change PYTHON_ADD_MODULE and PYTHON_WRITE_MODULES_HEADER to keep a
list of target names (and (a) how can I do this when the target name
might be changed later in CMake parsing? (b) will VTK's
FindPythonLibs.cmake always be used or might the version distributed
with CMake also need to change?)
3. Do something else?

	Thanks,
	David