[Paraview] How to extract a subdataset?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Sep 3 11:04:10 EDT 2009

Somehow I missed this original email.

I don't think BuildLinks is a good explanation here.  If you have removed 99 out of 100 cells, I can't imagine the output growing to take up twice as much memory just because links were built.  The clip filter will also tetrahedral your data, but that should only grow it by a factor of at most 6, not 200.

I assume you are using the Clip filter with Clip Type of Box.  Are you sure that the output contains the cells that are inside the box (the 1%) rather than outside the box (the 99%)?  By default, the clip filter will clip away everything inside the box and leave the rest.  To get only the cells in the box, you have to click on the Inside Out checkbox.  If you set the representation to Surface, do you get what you expect?  Does the cell count drop by a factor of 100?

BTW, using Extract Cells By Region was a good suggestion.  If you are just interested in extracting a group of cells, this filter should be more efficient and consume less memory.

-Ken