[Paraview] UI; real-time vis

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Sep 2 14:25:19 EDT 2009

I think Dave means the in-situ sections in the upcoming Vis09 tutorial (not the SC09 tutorial).

http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/IEEE_Vis09_ParaView_Tutorial

-Ken

On 9/2/09 11:04 AM, "David E DeMarle" <dave.demarle at kitware.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Randy Heiland <heiland at indiana.edu> wrote:
Hello,

Just wanting to get a better understanding of the latest ParaView, while considering adopting it for a project.  I'm assuming ParaView does its UI using C++ calls to Qt, as opposed to using PyQt, is that correct?  (if any of the developers would care to comment on the design decisions behind that, I'd welcome that too).  And that to

Yes C++, not PyQt.

create a custom UI, one does so via XML?  Any changes on the horizon?

Sort of. To customize the client one uses a mixture of C++ and XML and designer built widgets. The exact mix depends on what you are trying to change. See the paraview wiki page, specifically the plugins page for examples of how to make changes and the kinds of changes it is easy to make today.

It is also possible to write entirely new applications. See the OverView and StreamingParaView applications in the source code for examples.

Yes, changes are on the horizon. Writing a new app is too complicated right now because the design of the client is fairly monolithic and interconnected. Search the mailing list for Utkarsh's posting about branded applications. He has a git repository that is publicly available on git-hub where he is working on that.

Are there examples uses of ParaView for real-time vis?  Any examples that do computational steering?  Not necessarily for parallel apps, just serial.

Several people have done this before, so far no one has done it in a robust enough manner to be widely used. The upcoming tutorial at SuperComputing (again the see wiki page) convers perhaps the best approach so far. It is also worth investigating XDMF's DSM layer which is another good approach. Finally, I personally did it in yet another way. My approach was to add an asynchronous polling loop to the client, in the same way that the streaming paraview app renders for pieces in a loop while the UI stays responsive..

thanks, Randy

np.

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories