[Paraview] OverView 0.7.0 alpha: empty "Data" menu with Xcode build target

Zak Burke zak.burke at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 16:05:15 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Zak Burke <zak.burke at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Jeff Baumes <jeff.baumes at kitware.com> wrote:
>>> Interestingly, building OverView for Windows XP using the MinGW/Msys
>>> target in CMake suffers the same problem.
>>>
>>> My first MinGW attempt failed (see
>>> http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/paraview/2009-August/013379.html) but I
>>> was able to get everything to compile by building HDF5 outside the
>>> ParaView source tree, and configuring PARAVIEW_USE_SYSTEM_HDF5 to ON.
>>> But, just like the Xcode build, everything compiles but since the Data
>>> menu is empty, I don't have a way to connect my database.
>>>

>> I believe all the entries in the data menu are part of the Infovis plugin.
>> Verify that PARAVIEW_BUILD_PLUGIN_Infovis is on. If it already is, my next
>> assumption is that the plugin does not load correctly ... you can try
>> manually loading it from the Manage Plugins dialog and see what happens.
>
> Thanks! The plugin was failing to load, and the error message in the
> Manage Plugins dialog pointed me to the problem, as did
> /var/log/syslog, where I should have looked in the first place.
>
> When building with Xcode, TWO version of OverView.app are generated:
> one in ./bin that fails to launch ("You can't open the application
> 'OverView' because it is not supported on this architecture.") and
> another at ./bin/Debug that launches but has no plugins directory
> (i.e. ./bin/Debug/OverView.app/Contents/MacOS/OverView-startup is
> missing). Happily, the broken application DOES have a plugins
> directory containing all those missing plugins, and copying it into
> the application bundle of the working application solves the problem.

The issue with targeting MinGW on Windows XP was very similar: the
directory ./bin/OverView-startup contains a list of "timlink" files
which contain mis-named references to the plugins' DLLs. For example,
the file ./bin/OverView-startup/SQLDatabaseTableSourcePanelPlugin.dll.timlink
contains the text
"C:/projects/titan/pvmingw/bin/./SQLDatabaseTableSourcePanelPlugin.dll"
when it should contain,
"C:/projects/titan/pvmingw/bin/libSQLDatabaseTableSourcePanelPlugin.dll".

Editing the timlink files solved the problem.

Zak