[Paraview] network created with box glyphs and tubes

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Oct 26 12:19:23 EDT 2009

I don't think that is going to work.  If you transform the tubes, the entire lattice will rotate whereas I think Sreejith wants each tube to rotate around its center.

I know of no straightforward way to do this in ParaView.  The problem is that the tube filter is designed to create round tubes, and any visible facets are just an artifact of that.  Even if you were able to rotate the tubes, the shading would still be wrong; the normals are oriented to make the polygons look rounded instead of flat.

Attached is a Python script that, in a roundabout way, creates square links oriented the way you want with a sequence of filters (including one from the Moments plugin, which you will have to load to get it to work).  The basic sequence is to create a cell vector field array that captures the length and orientation of the lines, then run cell centers, then glyph the centers using the vectors for orientation and scaling.  This of course is actually quite ugly to set up (which is why I captured it in a script), and there is the additional problem that if your lines are different lengths, the links' widths will be scaled along with their lengths.  If you need to do this frequently, you may need to resort to creating your own version of the tube filter.

-Ken