[Paraview] Attaching D3 to my own reader

Paul Edwards paul.m.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 07:03:15 EDT 2009

I am trying to use D3 in my parallel reader to distribute the data.
Previously I have been doing this in the ParaView pipeline but now I
would like to incorporate it into my readers RequestData.  I am
experiencing a problem when I use the reader, extract the surface and
then use the feature edges filter.  Everything works as expected until
clicking apply for Feature Edges where request data is called again
for my filter and then the partition boundaries included in the
output.  This does not happen if I remove the D3 from my RequestData
and use in the ParaView pipeline.

I am adding the D3 filter as outlined below in my RequestData:

    vtkMultiBlockDataSet* output = vtkMultiBlockDataSet::SafeDownCast(
            outInfo->Get(vtkDataObject::DATA_OBJECT()));
    VTK_CREATE(vtkMultiBlockDataSet, multiblock);

    // ...
    // READ IN MULTIBLOCK DATA HERE
    // ...

    VTK_CREATE(vtkDistributedDataFilter, d3);
    d3->AddInput(multiblock);
    d3->Update();
    output->ShallowCopy(d3->GetOutput());

Can anyone see anything wrong with this?  Could it be because I need
to set something else in the RequestInformation?  Currently I do this:

    vtkInformation *outInfo = outputVector->GetInformationObject(0);
    outInfo->Set(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::MAXIMUM_NUMBER_OF_PIECES(),
-1);
    return 1;

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,