[Paraview] Problems using Paraview 3.6.1 on a linux cluster

alfacentauri2 at inwind.it alfacentauri2 at inwind.it
Mon Oct 12 03:46:03 EDT 2009

> Your X is going over ssh back to the machine you connected from. If X
> is running on the server, try setting DISPLAY to :0 (making sure that
> xauth stuff is setup properly) and run again.

If we set DISPLAY to :0, we can't run paraview (the error is: "No protocol specified. paraview-real: cannot connect to X server :0"); can you explain how set xauth stuff?

Moreover we noticed two things on our cluster:

1) the usual error "/ParaView/ParaView3/Servers/Common/vtkServerConnection.cxx, line 67
vtkServerConnection (0x100ffb0): Server Connection Closed!" happens when we push the button "apply" or when try to change the surface ("points", "wireframe",etc...) after loading a file in ensight format; if instead we load a file in STL format, Paraview works...
Instead on my local machine Paraview always works; but on my local machine the percentage of passed test is about 66% and on our cluster is about 33%...

2) when we start pvserver on the cluster with the command:

mpirun -np 64 -machinefile /home/utente/ParaView/ListaNodi /home/utente/ParaView/ParaView-bin/bin/pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering

each "pvserver-real" process keeps 100% - 101% of cpu on each node (even if the client isn't connect to the server): isn't it strange?

> Also, this page may be useful:
> http://paraview.org/Wiki/Setting_up_a_ParaView_Server

We already red this page and we followed the instructions in case of cluster without GPU.

Thank you again.