[Paraview] Hanging nodes, celltypes and BC?

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu Oct 8 09:34:41 EDT 2009

> I´m new at Paraview and have just done the exercises in “VTK File Format”.
> (http://www.vtk.org/VTK/img/file-formats.pdf). Are those figures which are
> shown the only cell types defined in Paraview or does it exist others? Maybe
> I can define and write one myself?

There are some others but they are variations of the quadratic cells
described in the document. I am not sure if that will satisfy your
need. You can define new ones by writing C++ code - the way all cells
are defined in VTK. If you want to go down this path, I would suggest
getting the VTK user's guide and read up on VTK development.

> I also wonder if I can use hanging nodes in Paraview? For example: I just
> define two more points on the cube in the first example between two already
> existing points and them connect them to each other but I will still keep it
> as a volume but with 7 surfaces instead of 6. Is that possible? Because for
> me it becomes a surface…

As someone else mentioned, you can use a convex point set (a poor
man's polyhedra) to do this. Some things will not work well though. We
have plans to add polyhedra support but not a definite timeline for
it.

> Then one last question. Can you write your boundary conditions into a
> xml-file?

No. You should look into the Exodus II file format. It allows for
boundary sets and such.

-berk