[Paraview] 3D vector & contour plots from a set of scattered point

Sven Buijssen sven.buijssen at tu-dortmund.de
Sat Nov 28 07:07:18 EST 2009

Nima,

Your first question has been discussed last month on this list, have a look at
http://markmail.org/message/36223zg4uleibiyj. David found the time to put the
question in FAQ style into the ParaView wiki. So, you can also look at
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Display_points_and_normals_from_a_plain_text_(x_y_z_nx_ny_nz)_file

I haven't faced the problem yet you describe in your second question. I'm
guessing you'll have to import your scattered data into ParaView (e.g. as CSV
data) and somehow come up with a regular grid in ParaView. This might be
possible using a Programmable Source or Sources - Data Object Generator, but I'm
not sure of that. Maybe someone else can point this out. Once you have a regular
grid, use the Resample with Dataset filter to interpolate your point data set(s)
to the regular grid and apply the Contour filter.

Hope this helps.

Sven