[Paraview] Developing plugins procedural question

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 19:46:12 EST 2009

Say I have written a VTK filter and the directory structure is as follows:
.../MyFilter/MyFilter.h
.../MyFilter/MyFilter.cxx
.../MyFilter/CMakeLists.txt

And it is built in
.../MyFilter/bin

I now want to make a Paraview plugin for it. I would like to keep it very
separate though so I can still have something to hand out to people who just
want the filter, and then have something extra that I could also provide if
people want the plugin. I tried to do the following:

Make a .../MyFilter/plugin directory.
Put the MyFilter.xml and a new CMakeLists.txt in that directory.
set SERVER_MANAGER_SOURCES to ../vtkMyFilter.cxx (which is
.../MyFilter/MyFilter.cxx)

I then made .../MyFilter/plugin/bin and tried to build the plugin in this
directory. The problem seems to be that since vtkMyFilter.cxx includes
"vtkMyFilter.h", this header cannot be found since we are no longer in the
same directory that vtkMyFilter.h exists in.

I guess ideally I would like to have a .../MyFilter/CMakeListsPlugin.txt and
build it in .../MyFilter/plugin_bin, but as far as I understand cmake will
only let you read the configuration from a file named exactly
CMakeLists.txt.
Is there an easy solution to this? How do you guys do it?

Thanks,

David