[Paraview] Ensight Particle data visualization

Sandeep Rana rana41671 at gmail.com
Mon May 4 20:35:00 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am trying to visualize particle data files, written in Ensight Gold
format. I checked the case file with ens_checker82 and it seems okay to me.

FORMAT
type: ensight gold
GEOMETRY
model: 1 DF.000000.ens.coor
measured: 2 lsp2.******.ens.coor
VARIABLE
vector per node: 1 U ./DF.******.ens.U
vector per measured node: 2 UP ./lsp2.******.ens.UP
scalar per measured node: 2 TP ./lsp2.******.ens.TP
scalar per measured node: 2 MP ./lsp2.******.ens.MP
TIME
time set: 1
number of steps: 2
filename start number: 1
filename increment: 1
time values:
1.00E-002
2.00E-002
time set: 2
number of steps: 2
filename start number: 1
filename increment: 1
time values:
1.00E-002
2.00E-002

While trying to read it in Paraview3.4, I am getting following error
messages:

ERROR: In /tmp/Kitware/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkEnSightReader.cxx, line 1950
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0xba8b610): Block already has a vtkDataSet
assigned to it.

ERROR: In /tmp/Kitware/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx, line
3957
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0xba8b610): Read failed

ERROR: In /tmp/Kitware/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx, line
3957
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0xba8b610): Read failed

ERROR: In /tmp/Kitware/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx, line
3957
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0xba8b610): Read failed

I am able to visualize particles by using Glyph filter as mentioned in the
earlier posts but the particle size doesn't look physical to me. I should
have all my particles with dia 6e-5m but Paraview displays them with
different sizes. In the Scalars section I have selected MP, and Vector as U.
I changed the default radius of 0.5 to 0.05 and Scale mode is set to vector.
Also, the number of points in information section is way too more than what
I have in my files. I would really appreciate any help in understanding
Paraview particle visualization.

Thanks
Sandeep

P.S : I have the particle image attached for reference.