[Paraview] Crash on Paraview

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Mar 31 15:42:52 EDT 2009

(I'm cc'ing back to the ParaView mailing list so others can see and comment.)

OK.  I'm able to replicate the problem by creating a large data set with the Wavelet source.  What I suspect is happening is that ParaView is generating a wireframe representation of the selected cells.  The wireframe is taking up a lot of memory (quite possibly more than the original data).  ParaView should try to avoid this, so I have submitted a bug:

  http://www.paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=8827

However, even if this bug were fixed, I suspect you will still run into inevitable memory crashes.  There are a couple of issues.  First, any time a filter does a topology change, for example by removing some cells, the filter must create a new data object to represent the new topology.  Thus, you will need to have enough memory to hold the original and the modified data at the same time.  The second issue is that if you remove some arbitrary cells from a structured data, the resulting mesh must be represented with an unstructured data type.  Unstructured data needs to have explicit topology defined, which takes many times more memory than its structured counterpart.  Thus, the "reduced" mesh could easily take up more memory.

I recommend finding another way to look at a specific potion of your data.  One way is to use volume rendering and try to set the uninteresting cells to have a zero opacity.  Another way is to try to extract polygonal surfaces in the area you want to see.  The slice and contour filters are often good at this.  For more information on what filters you should and shouldn't use on large data, take a look at the section on "Avoiding Data Explosion" in the SC08 ParaView tutorial, which is posted on the ParaView Wiki.

  http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/SC08_ParaView_Tutorial

-Ken