[Paraview] Fwd: annotating in paraview?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Mar 6 11:05:46 EST 2009

I can't think of a good way to do that without doing a lot of either
c++ or python filter programming to extend paraview.

Right now annotation is limited to the 2d and 3d text sources and the
ability to turn on labeling of values that are inside the active
selection.

I think we would need to extend ParaView with an annotation filter
that would show in text format values from the data set it inputs and
with an easy way to assign arbitrary attribute values into a data set.

The first would require some sort of warning, or memory limit, because
it would quickly overwhelm both cpu time and screen space when applied
to any data set with more than a few MB of data values. This is the
reasoning behind the current annotation limitations.

The second can be done via the python filter (or for floating point
numbers the calculator filter) now. However a GUI, perhaps through the
spreadsheet view, would be much more user friendly. For large data
sets, there will have to be some way of not having to specify every
value.

Please submit a feature request via the bug tracker. I think this
would be a really useful addition.