[Paraview] Any performance hints or tips for .pvtr reader?

Jonathan Dursi ljdursi at scinet.utoronto.ca
Mon Jun 29 12:17:19 EDT 2009

Moreland, Kenneth wrote:

 >   That is, organize the data so that each process only has to
 > do one read from a single file.  The easiest way to do that is to read
 > in your data into ParaView or VTK on 64 processes as you are doing now

Still easier when possible is to run the viz task on 192 cores, matching
one file per core; I've done that and performance improves but not
enormously.   It's an inconvenience, but I just wanted to know if there
was anything in particular I needed to be aware of.

 > (pay the time price) and then write it back out in a new .pvtr file.
 >  The new .pvtr file should contain 64 .vtr files.  Loading that back
 > onto 64 processes should be quick.

Yes, well, that's a separate issue that I'm having; I can reliably kill
paraview dead by trying to `Save Data', either immediately after the
pvtr data has been read as cell data or after converting it to point
data.  If I just try to save  smaller data sets resulting from the
visualization process (eg, generated contours) I have no problems with
that.  There's nothing obviously weird about the data set, as I have no
issues plotting or manipulating the data.  This was true with PV 3.4 and
with a current (eg, this morning) cvs build.

   - Jonathan

--
Jonathan Dursi     <ljdursi at scinet.utoronto.ca>