[Paraview] Multiple servers

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Jul 23 12:29:38 EDT 2009

David, can you do these two things?

1) from the shell on the local machine, ssh to one node of the remote
machine and execute a command without supplying a password (ie you
have ssh authentication set up)
ex.
kargad> ssh amber1 uname -a
Linux amber1 2.6.18-6-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 19 04:30:56 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

2) log on the first node of the remote machine, set up a machine file
listing the nodes in the remote, then run mpirun to start a parallel
job on all of the server nodes
kargad> ssh amber1
amber1> cat > ~/mymachinefile.txt
amber1
amber2
Ctrl-D
amber1> mpirun -m ~/mymachinefile.txt -np 2 /bin/uname -a
Linux amber1 2.6.18-6-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 19 04:30:56 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Linux amber2 2.6.18-6-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 19 04:30:56 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

If you can do those two things, then your command should be
ssh remotemachine mpirun -np N pvserver

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer