[Paraview] bug in ParaView 3.6.1: no tube-filter in menu

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Fri Jul 10 11:02:57 EDT 2009

I agree that we should encourage the use of the searching functionality more, but I still contend that this filter's name should start with Tube (and in general all filters should start with the most identifying word).  The issue is that even if we use search most of the time, it is sometimes convenient to use the alphabetic menu if, for example, I can't remember exactly the name.  It's like looking up a word you don't know how to spell in the dictionary by going through an alphabetic list of word you know is close as opposed to trying to guess the spelling in a spell checker that does not suggest corrections.  Also, I ran into this when showing ParaView to a user and I could not find the tube filter in the alphabetic list.  It was a little embarrassing.

Yet another reason to list the most significant word first is to make it easer to search documentation.  The filters and python functions are going to be listed in alphabetic order when documented.  It is only natural to look under "Tube" when browsing the documentation.  So although the name "GenerateTubes" might look a bit nicer in a python script, I think it actually adds more heartache to the python programmer than it relieves.

-Ken