[Paraview] Problems with the new color legend

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Jan 15 11:04:50 EST 2009

> The minimum and the maximum values show up differently (not aligned with) from
> the rest of tick values. They seem to be different from vertical (see
> vertical.png) to horizontal (see horizontal.png).

That is by design.  The min/max labels are placed where they can be shown
with the maximum amount of precision (so that you get the most accurate
account of what the range is).

> Also, the "Number of Labels"
> field has no effect. There were always minimum+3middlevalues+maximum in the
> color legend, even though I used 7 (see editor1.png and editor2.png for the
> editor window I am using). I think this is a bug.

The field is working, but it really means the maximum number of (non
min/max) labels.  It will show less if it means the labels will be more
readable.  You have to bump up the number of labels to 11 before you get to
the next increment that the color bar will allow.  I changed the label next
to the field to better reflect what it means.

Note that the point of the changes to the scalar bar are to make it more
readable.  Even with only 5 labels, you can quickly pinpoint the color
precisely to the thousands place using the minor tick marks.  That's way
better than you could with the old labels.

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories
*** *** ***  email: kmorel at sandia.gov