[Paraview] how to work with cells having interior nodes?

Alejandro Aragon alejandro.aragon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 19:23:34 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

I was forced to code the cubic triangle (T10) in my finite element
code. This element has an interior node, so I was wondering if any of
you came across this. I was taking a look at the vtk cell types and
the higher the triangle goes is a quadratic triangle. I tried to use
the vtk_polygon, but I get the following error:

ERROR: In /Users/berk/Work/ReleaseBuilds/ParaView3/VTK/IO/
vtkXMLUnstructuredDataReader.cxx, line 653
vtkXMLUnstructuredGridReader (0x2400beb0): Cannot read cell
connectivity from Cells in piece 0 because the "connectivity" array is
not long enough.

I checked the connectivity array and it contains the exact number of
cells, so I guess the problem is that paraview is not connecting those
interior nodes. I thought that one way to solve this was to
triangulate the T10, but that is going to take some time to code so I
was wondering if there is a shortcut around it.

Thank you all,

Alejandro M. Aragón