[Paraview] Ensuring that a plugin is loaded in pvpython

Bernhard Gschaider bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at
Tue Jan 6 11:34:36 EST 2009

    BG> I will add your request to the list of Python features to
    BG> improve. We are currently working on updating the Python API.

Thank you.

That would be the better feedback wouldn't it?

About not working on Linux: is this a general problem or something
special to my machine (I the "Paraview/Python Scripting"-document the
path "/Users/berk" and the words "This is on my Mac ..." lead me to
the conclusion that the primary platform for testing the python-stuff
is NOT Linux)

Bernhard

    BG> -berk

    BG> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Bernhard Gschaider
    BG> <bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at> wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I'm trying to write a script that loads a state-file and makes
    >> a picture. The source that reads the data is in a plugin. The
    >> plugin is loaded and works in paraview (obviously. Otherwise I
    >> couldn't generate the state-file). The script is run via
    >> pvpython.  So before loading the State-file using
    >> servermanager.LoadState() I load the plugin (actually both
    >> plugins) with servermanager.LoadPlugin() Loading the state I
    >> get the error message
    >>
    >> ERROR: In
    >> /home/openfoam/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty/ParaView-3.4.0/Servers/ServerManager/vtkSMProxyManager.cxx,
    >> line 327 vtkSMProxyManager (0x5a98bd0): No proxy that matches:
    >> group=sources and proxy=PV3FoamReader were found.
    >>
    >> (PV3FoamReader being the source). I can verify that by having a
    >> look at dir(servermanager.sources) - it's not there.
    >>
    >> And now comes the punch-line: the same script worked on my Mac
    >> the problem happens on my 64-Bit-Linux-Machine (and it is not a
    >> matter of wrong-path or wrong dylib/so-extension. I
    >> checked). The plugin and paraview were compiled on both
    >> machines from the same sources with the same settings.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to diagnose what the problem might be? I can't
    >> find two things in the Python/servermanager-interface that
    >> would help me: - A facility that lists all the loaded modules
    >> (Paraview can do this) - Some feedback from LoadPlugin whether
    >> and why it failed. Currently I can do
    >> servermanager.LoadPlugin("/path/I/m/pretty/sure/it/doesnt/exist")
    >> and I will see no difference to a sucessfully loaded module
    >>
    >> To sum up my two problems:
    >>
    >> a) Mac: paraview + Plugin = OK pvpython + Plugin = OK Linux:
    >> paraview + Plugin = OK pvpython + Plugin = Not Loaded What
    >> could be the cause?
    >>
    >> b) Better interface to the plugin-facilities in Python.

DI Bernhard F.W. Gschaider
EMail: 	Bernhard.Gschaider at ice-sf.at
WWW  : www.ice-sf.at
Jabber : bgschaid at jabber.org
Tel:	+43(3842)98282-42	Fax:	+43(3842)98282-02