[Paraview] Why is PKdTree used for IMAGE Volume Rendering?

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Thu Feb 12 14:09:48 EST 2009

I just tried to use ParaView from Tuesday's CVS (The network was down
last night.) on both CPU cores to volume render a large (1/4 the size of
available RAM) image.

As soon as I selected volume render for the representation I saw the
status bar show PKdTree and moments later all of the system memory was
consumed and the system started swapping.

I had to kill paraview and the pvserver processes from the console to
end the swap-death.

I reran paraview with only one CPU core and proceeded as normal.

My question is: why is PKdTree needed at all for image data?

For unstructured data it of course makes sense but for image data it
just wastes a lot of RAM.

I haven't tried parallel image volume rendering in a while so I don't
know when this showed up.