[Paraview] remote rendering with paraview

Jim Montine jmontine at sgi.com
Thu Feb 5 14:09:21 EST 2009

I download and I am running paraview 3.4.0.  I run pvserver on a linux cluster (where a .cas data file to visualize resides) andI run paraview on my Windows laptop.

First I tried running: pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering  on the server (which has gfx hardware) without setting
DISPLAY properly.  I got a message that the display was not accessible and that remote rendering would be
disabled.  I was still able to run paraview on the PC and connect to the server and display the model.

1) In this scenario, is any work at all being done by pvserver, other than providing access to the data file?

Next, I set DISPLAY to the gfx head on the server and reran: pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering.  I got no
messages this time and I again could connect to the server from the PC and display the model on the PC
inside paraview.

2. In this scenario, is remote rendering happening on the server?   How are things divided between the pvserver
and paraview in this case?

Finally, I tried running on a server with NO gfx hardware. I set DISPLAY to be the PC.  Again I could
connect and display the model inside paraview (on the PC)  but it runs very slowly.

3. What is the correct way to run pvserver on a server with no gfx hardware and have the server do rendering that is
then sent to the client?

Thanks