[Paraview] Parallel Data Redistribution

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Dec 15 11:21:12 EST 2009

Hmmm. I don't exactly see the difference between the two (I mean
streaming and distributing). In your case, I would think that a filter
can arbitrarily change the pipeline request to either request nothing
or ask the same piece on two processes. It would like this:

reader0 - request piece 0 of 1 - filter - request piece 0 of 1 -
update suppressor
reader1 - request piece 0 of 1 - filter - request piece 1 of 1 -
update suppressor

This should work fine as long as the reader does not have another
consumer (for example a representation if the visibility is on) that
is asking for a different piece. The following should also work

reader0 - request piece 0 of 1 - filter - request piece 0 of 1 -
update suppressor
reader1 - request piece 0 of 0 - filter - request piece 1 of 1 -
update suppressor

Of course, if you have any filters that do parallel communication in
between, you are SOL.

Does that make sense?

Now if you have structured data and the frickin' extent translator
gets in between, things are not as straightforward - which why I hate
the extent translator. If I had some time/funding, I would write a new
executive that does not use structured extents.

-berk