[Paraview] paraview 3.6.1 pvbatch -failed to create subproxy (cray)

Asimina Maniopoulou asimina at nag.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 09:57:11 EST 2009

Moreland, Kenneth wrote:
> There were some changes to python scripting from 3.4 to 3.6 and not all were backward compatible (a necessity to support the paraview.simple module).  You may need to update your script.  Does it run on a typical client?
>
> -Ken
>

> On 12/7/09 5:02 AM, "Asimina Maniopoulou" <asimina at nag.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Dear all.
>
> Last year I had installed on a Cray machine Paraview 3.4.0 and both
> pvbatch and the paraview server with the GUI were running successfully
> as documented here
> http://www.hector.ac.uk/support/documentation/userguide/hectoruser/Tools.html#SECTION000102100000000000000
> Now I tried to install  version 3.6.1. When I submit  the script
> Example 1 ( see the link above) I get the error
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "comby.py", line 19, in <module>
>
>     rep2.ColorArrayName="Density"
>
>   File
> "paraview-3.6.1/Utilities/VTKPythonWrapping/paraview/servermanager.py",
> line 203, in __setattr__
>
>     setter(self, value)
>
>   File
> "paraview-3.6.1/Utilities/VTKPythonWrapping/paraview/servermanager.py",
> line 2325, in setProperty
>
>     return self.SetPropertyWithName(propName, value)
>
>   File
> "paraview-3.6.1/Utilities/VTKPythonWrapping/paraview/servermanager.py",
> line 252, in SetPropertyWithName
>
>     prop.SetData(arg)
>
>   File
> "paraview-3.6.1/Utilities/VTKPythonWrapping/paraview/servermanager.py",
> line 666, in SetData
>
>     for a in self.Available:
>
>   File
> "paraview-3.6.1/Utilities/VTKPythonWrapping/paraview/servermanager.py",
> line 522, in __getattr__
>
>     return getattr(self.SMProperty, name)
>
> AttributeError: Available
>
> I realize that now the "simple" module is supposed to be used instead of
> the servermanager one but when I  use the line
> from paraview.simple import *
> I  get  the error
> Process id: 0 >> ERROR: In
> distribs/Paraview-Packages/paraview/ParaView3/Servers/ServerManager/vtkSMProxyManager.cxx,
> line 327
>
> vtkSMProxyManager (0x000000000668a0d0): No proxy that matches:
> group=views and proxy=BarChartView were found.
>

> Process id: 0 >> ERROR: In
> distribs/Paraview-Packages/paraview/ParaView3/Servers/ServerManager/vtkSMProxy.cxx,
> line 2032
>
> vtkSMComparativeViewProxy (0x0000000007307e20): Failed to create
> subproxy: BarChartView
>

> Process id: 0 >> ERROR: In
> distribs/Paraview-Packages/paraview/ParaView3/Servers/ServerManager/vtkSMProxyManager.cxx,
> line 327
>
> vtkSMProxyManager (0x000000000668a0d0): No proxy that matches:
> group=views and proxy=XYPlotView were found.
>

> Process id: 0 >> ERROR: In
> [...]
Hi Ken,
I understand that the old script does not work because of the changes
but it seems that there is a bigger problem because as mentioned in my
previous mail the  line

from paraview.simple import *

fails, while this is supposed to work with the new version, isn't it?
This line also fails with the pvpython client.
Also, is there a python script written in the new format, I could use
for testing?
Thanks,
Mina